Stern FAQs:

Q: Is a stern the back or aft-most part of a ship or boat?

A: Yes, and technically defined as the area built up over the sternpost, extending upwards from the counter rail to the taffrail.

Q: Is a stern a kind of transom stern that is raked backwards?

A: Yes, the vertical transom stern or plumb stern is raked neither forward nor back, but falls directly from the taffrail down to the wing transom.

Q: Was a stern quickly superseded by the elliptical stern?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a stern composed of a series of U-shaped rib-like frames set in a sloped or "cant" arrangement?

A: Yes, and with the last frame before the stern being called the fashion timber or fashion piece , so called for "fashioning" the after part of the ship.

Q: Is a stern a type of stern designed for use on ocean-going vessels?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a stern considered a raked stern?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a stern a term for an extremely angled retroussé stern?

A: Yes.

Q: Was a stern a floating house—and required just as many timbers?

A: Yes, and walls, windows, and frames.

Q: Is a stern the product of the use of a series of transoms?

A: Yes, and hence the two terms have blended.

Q: Was a stern soon rectified by Sir William Symonds?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a stern to be found on inshore craft on the Sussex?

A: Yes, and England shore.