Flange FAQs:

Q: Is a flange an external or internal ridge, or rim , for strength, as the flange of an iron beam such as an I-beam or a T-beam?

A: Yes, or for attachment to another object, as the flange on the end of a pipe, steam cylinder, etc.

Q: Are flanges often used across the following applications: subsea oil and gas or riser?

A: Yes, and cold work and cryogenics, gas injection, high temperature, and nuclear applications.

Q: Is a flange informally known as the "duckbill"?

A: Yes, New cross country bindings eliminate the flange entirely and use a steel bar embedded within the sole instead.

Q: Is a flange a flange at the end of a tube used to connect vacuum chambers?

A: Yes, and tubing and vacuum pumps to each other.

Q: Are flanges usually under ASME designation: SA-105 , SA-266 , or SA-182?

A: Yes, In addition, there are many "industry standard" flanges that in some circumstance may be used on ASME work.

Q: Are flanges made within Asia?

A: Yes, and there are still several factories that still produce in Europe such as Flanschen Werk Hüttental GmbH, Swiss Fittings AG, and Beblitz Flansche.

Q: Is a flange a type of cable joint which allows different types of waveguide to connect?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a flange inevitably higher than a regular flange due to the closer tolerances and significantly more sophisticated design and installation requirements?

A: Yes.

Q: Are flanges recognized by ASME Pipe Codes such as ASME B31?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a flange prohibited?

A: Yes.

Q: Is a flange a plate for covering or closing the end of a pipe?

A: Yes.